Class Times and Descriptions
The focus of our classes is not only to progress your practice and understanding of Pilates, or Barre but also to enjoy the movements and appreciate just how far you have progressed. Each class last 50 mins and all equipment is supplied - we use props like small balls, stretch bands, foam rollers, Pilates Circles, light hand weights and sometimes a chair to perform a wide range of Pilates exercises modified where appropriate to help you get the most from your workout. Descriptions of classes below.
1. Pilates Beginners: ideal for those new to Pilates, or returning after a break, or who enjoy doing Pilates at a gentler pace. This class introduces the newcomer to Pilates, explains good posture and how to attain it. Proper breathing techniques and how to identify the muscles of the core and how to activate and release them. Correct alignment of the body and how to identify and activate the muscles of the shoulder girdle and pelvis. We progress with steady flow incorporating the principles of Pilates throughout the class - breathing, centring, co-ordination, focus, precision and flow.
2. Pilates All Levels: Suitable for beginners and for experienced students. Ideal for groups of friends to do a class together where they are all at different fitness levels. We cover good posture and how to attain it. As in the beginners class we cover proper breathing techniques and how to identify the muscles of the core and activate/ release them. Correct alignment of the body and how to identify and activate the muscles of the shoulder girdle and pelvis. We progress with steady flow incorporating the principles of Pilates throughout the class - breathing, centring, co-ordination, focus, precision and flow. With mixed abilities, the aim will be to ensure students are challenged to suit their experience which may mean students performing a particular exercise but at different challenge levels.
3. Pilates Experienced: ideal for those proficient in Pilates - with considerable recent experience. The class will be performed at a flowing rate and will incorporate moves from both the classical and contemporary repertoires. It is aimed at injury free, healthy students. We will focus on the key Pilates Principles of breath, focus, precision, alignment, control and balance to both challenge mind and body.
4. Barre classes - these are our cardio classes which are a mix of Pilates, Yoga, Ballet moves, and stretching to music - we use a ballet barre as a prop - all moves done standing. This is a fun low impact aerobic class designed to sculpt and tone your body, strengthen your posture, increase mind body connection and guaranteed to leave you energised and glissening. Ideal for students who like the idea of doing Pilates but don't like the idea of exercising on a mat.
Light hand weights and Pilates balls are used to increase challenge - but they are optional.
5. Special Interest Classes:
Pilates on the Ball *NEW*: Total body workout using one of the most popular pieces of equipment in the studio - the Exercise Ball (large soft stabilityball) - challenges your balance and stabilizing muscles - which are often under used resulting in injuries to the knee, ankle, shoulder or back.
Pilates for Back Strength: Designed to strengthen core support for the back, develop muscle endurance, teach good alignment, and provide gentle stretches for tight muscles.
Cardio Pilates: is a Pilates based workout using high intensity interval training methods. Combines Pilates based principles for strength and muscle tone and High Intensity Interval Training to get your heart rate up with some high intensity exercises.
Strength & Stretch: ideal class to complement your sporting activities - roll, move, stretch and stabilise to improve performance, reduce risk of injury and help recovery. Helps you build strength, speed, flexibility and endurance.
Prenatal Pilates: ideal for those wishing to maintain their strength and flexibility during pregnancy, or who wish to join a gentler Pilates class. For more details see Prenatal Pilates. There are no scheduled classes at the moment - if you are interested please get in touch - alternatively private sessions available for up to 4 students - either as a one off or regular class.
Pilates Just for Men: Focusing on the needs of men who often have less flexibility and more upper body strength than women - this class will help bring balance, flexibility and freedom of movement. There are no scheduled classes at the moment - if you are interested please get in touch - alternatively private sessions available for up to 4 students - either as a one off or regular class.
6. Private classes - those new to Pilates or Barre may wish to have a private one-to-one introductory session. A private class is recommended for anyone trying Pilates for the first time or with particular health concerns, or where health conditions have changed. They are aimed at helping students understand their own capabilities and gain confidence ahead of joining a group class. You will receive a follow-up outline of the main exercises we covered in our session together with pointers on how to practice them at home.
7. Reformer Pilates - Working out on the Reformer includes all the benefits of mat Pilates, but also helps improve overall strength, flexibility, coordination, and balance. Sessions are available on a 1 to 1 basis - check special offers for latest deals. This is an all over body workout aimed at improving strength and flexibility.
8. Schools, Teams, Work place and Community Groups - for those who run or are involved in schools, teams - whether for work, sports, or community based - I offer one off or blocks of classes. These private classes can be tailored to suit. I have experience with working with all age groups and interests including the Ballyshannon Active Retirement Group, the Bundoran Active Retirement Group, and the junior and senior MSC Triathlon clubs. More details on request.